New California Laws That Will Affect Drivers
Here is a list of updates to California laws that all drivers should note:
- AB 2020:A person arrested for suspected DUI will no longer be given the option of a urine test. In previous years, officers gave the option of either a urine test or a blood test.
- AB 45:Bus and limousine drivers will be held responsible for telling all underage passengers that drinking alcohol is illegal. If alcohol is being transported in a bus or limousine with underage passengers on board, a person at least 25 years old must be on board to ensure there is no underage consumption.
- AB 1888: The law will allow a driver with a commercial license who has committed a traffic offense to attend traffic violator school, thus preventing them from getting a point on their license.
- AB 1536:It will be legal to send and receive text messages with hands-free devices powered by voice-operated software.
- AB 1708:Drivers will have the right to show proof of insurance on a smart phone or tablet when pulled over.
- AB 2405: Cars with Clean Air Vehicle stickers will be allowed to use High Occupancy Toll lanes.
- SB 1298:Self-driving cars will be allowed on public roads for testing purposes as long as a licensed driver is in the driver’s seat.
- SB 1047:CHP will begin a Silver Alert system similar to Amber Alert, but for missing people over 65 years old.
- AB 1550: Veterans will be able to apply for specialized plates designating them as participants of specific wars or conflicts with the use of new decals. Old decals will be phased out depending on demand and cost of production.